Pages

4.01.2007

Will she be OK?


I often wonder if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

Well. If I was really doing what I was supposed to be doing right now, my house would be cleaner and my daughter wouldn't know every character on PBS Spout, my homework would be done.....
Am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing as far as life goes?

As I see Ken’s interests grow -- her affection for dancing, music, singing, and art -- I wonder how I'm supposed to know what she's supposed to do and be.

My parents started me in piano at an early age. They also sent me away to these computer camps & math and science camps during the summer. I never said I wanted to do any of that -- they just decided it was right for me. Turns out I was pretty decent at the computer, math & science stuff and ended up staying in it through college. Heck I love it, its my passion, & I use those skills for a living. But what if I would have been just as good on flute? or acting? or golf?

I played a few sports. Nothing serious. I never ice skated. And I never did one single beauty pageant.
I said all that to say...I mean what if I was supposed to be the greatest black female golf player or the first black Miss America from the state of Mississippi and my parents just totally missed the boat? (or would it be ball...”golf ball”?)

My parents cut off my piano lessons much to my devastation... yeah right :-). And while I'm deeply satisfied with my life as it stands -- husband, children, career, friends, and interests, I still ask myself "what if?"

Am I who I'm supposed to be? Doing what I'm supposed to be doing? Or is the circle of my life not yet complete? (I hope there is more)

I'm certainly not one to try my child in anything and everything, but I still want her to be able to find her path and more importantly her passions. I'm just unsure as to how to guide her without leading her in the wrong direction. If she loves something, will she always love it? If she wants to give something up, should I let her? Or should I make her stick with it?

What part of who we are today -- our life choices, our jobs, our hobbies, and our own passions had to do with our parents' choices? How do I know where she should go and what she should try? And if I mislead her, will she be able to come around, full circle, and be where she was supposed to be all along?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"You were created with a purpose in mind, your trails are meant to be a way to bring others back into my arms, for in you they will see me..."